[Answer the Proust Questionnaire]
[Answers by name or age]
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:20:26 UTC Hoelder1in (51) answered the Proust Questionnaire:
- What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
- Seeing a loved one suffer and not being able to help
- Where would you like to live?
- In a country of like-minded people
- What is your idea of earthly happiness?
- I go with Proust there: to live in contact with those I love, with the beauties of nature, with a quantity of books and music, though, instead of a French Theater, I might add easy access to the Internet.
- To what faults do you feel most indulgent?
- Those that I find in myself
- Who are your favorite heroes of fiction?
- Those of the last couple of books I read; I don't have any specific heroes beyond that.
- Who are your favorite characters in history?
- The scientists, thinkers, artists who advanced humankind, who contributed to our world-view and culture
- Who are your favorite heroines in real life?
- I don't have any heroines in real life.
- Who are your favorite heroines of fiction?
- Christa Wolf's Kassandra... I can't think of many convincing female fictional characters, perhaps I need to read more female writers.
- Your favorite painter?
- Edvard Munch, Max Beckmann, Jackson Pollock, Andrew Wyeth
- Your favorite musician?
- Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Schumann, Rachmaninov
- The quality you most admire in a man?
- Empathy, the ability to listen, an independent and creative mind, the same qualities I value in a woman
- The quality you most admire in a woman?
- Empathy, the ability to listen, an independent and creative mind, the same qualities I value in a man
- Your favorite virtue?
- Honesty with oneself
- Your favorite occupation?
- Sharing my thoughts with a friend
- Who would you have liked to be?
- A scientist who significantly contributed to our view of the world
- Your most marked characteristic?
- What do you most value in your friends?
- Empathy, the ability to listen
- What is your principle defect?
- I need to think about that some more; once I have made up my mind, I probably won't tell... ;)
- What to your mind would be the greatest of misfortunes?
- To lose those I love
- What would you like to be?
- A mind the size of a star
- What is your favorite color?
- Something bright, cheerful, and optimistic
- What is your favorite flower?
- I find Proust's answer, "Hers", wonderful.
- What is your favorite bird?
- The Wandering Albatross
- Who are your favorite prose writers?
- I don't have any longterm favorites, I used to love Bettina von Arnim and Christoph-Martin Wieland, in the field of scifi, Stanislaw Lem and Greg Egen, most often the author I currently read, right now Marcel Proust.
- Who are your favorite poets?
- My namesake, Friedrich Hölderlin, Karoline von Günderode, a number of others from whom I just like individual poems
- Who are your heroes in real life?
- I don't have any heroes in real life.
- Who are your favorite heroines of history?
- Hypatia of Alexandria and her courageous sisters who, through the ages, stood up for their ideas in a male-dominated environment
- What are your favorite names?
- Rastaban and Aspidiske, the names of two stars; I think of them as lovers or perhaps brother and sister...
- What is it you most dislike?
- What historical figures do you most despise?
- The obvious ones, whose names I don't want to do the honor of writing them here
- What event in military history do you most admire?
- My discharge as unfit for military service (in the spirit of Felix Krull)
- What natural gift would you most like to possess?
- Superhuman intelligence
- How would you like to die?
- At a time of my own choosing
- What is your present state of mind?
- I like Proust's answer, annoyance at having to think about myself in order to answer these questions.
- What is your motto?
- I don't have a motto.
More about me at http://hoelder1in.org
Clicking on the left button will increase the likelihood of Hoelder1in's answers being displayed as featured answer.